Jalte hain jiske liye....
Talat Mohammad's voice is filling my room in this lazy sunday afternoon. The world is sleepy.. may be because of the summer madness that drains your energy.
My shadow morphs into a memory . A calmness, stillness, a strange courage.
That's my curse- I remember everything...
Words that fell from tour drunken mouth 3 years ago.
The colour of my best friend's nail polish on a random Thursday 6 years ago. The flavour of icecream my roommate bought 5 moons back.
A starnger's eye flicker towards the door: fear...
A name mentioned once, twice, three times in a conversationwe had 7 weeks ago.
A leg bounce, finger tap, nervousness of a woman who shares seat with me in a bus ride.
Fast forward. The song is still playing. My eyes then water because I know. I know that the love in my heart will only dull, but never disappear. I know because I’ve been here before. I know how this works... for I have loved and lost..
Still,
I have this life i imagine sometimes. I don’t talk about it. But it’s there. It has always been there.
A life with someone. Not perfect in the way movies mean it...Perfect in the way that feels mine.
Sunday moons with biriyani.
Summers with mango juice.
A shoulder I can lean on to.
A coffee mug shared. Books highlighted in different colours.
Fingers that automatically find in dark.
I have an entire life picture like this in the back of my mind. A love that doesnt make me afraid. Allows me to rest. Doesn't make me feel I have to earn it.
And then I act like I don't believe in that kind of love. I say I have outgrown fairy tales. That am a realist. Am an adult. I have better things to do. I deny it loudly and firmly . The practiced detachment. The half jokes. The pretense of "not interested".
But, dear future beloved...
if you are reading this...
I hope we meet one day .
That we learn each other painfully slowly.
That we recognize the difference between the silence where we need space and the silence where we are secretly hoping that we notice we are hurting.
That we cry infront eachother without apologizing afterward.
That we admit we are scared, jealous, insecure, lonely, confused rather than pretending or being impressive.
That we know each others favorite singer. That we know how much sugar we want in our morning coffees.
That we know how our rooms smell after long monsoon days.
That we tell each others dream before it exists.
That we will love each other for all the summers,winters ,autumns and springs...
That we will ,one day tell each other " I remember that nights when you almost stopped trying . Am glad I stayed. Am lucky I stayed "
"Jab talak na yeh tere ras ke bhare honthon se miley, Yunhi awara phirega yeh teri zulfon ke taley Gaaye jaunga yehi geet main tere liye..."
Until then, my beloved... I shall sing...
Comments
Post a Comment